Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Coach Who Said I Couldn't

Have you ever had someone tell you you can't do something? That you're incapable of accomplishing something? That no matter how hard you try, your goal just isn't in the cards for you? I have.

During my freshman year of college, my Strength and Conditioning Coach told me that I wasn't physiologically capable of getting in shape. I wasn't physiologically capable. I don't know how many different ways you can interpret that, but to me, I took it as, "no matter how hard you try, no matter how hard you work, you'll never be in the shape you want to be and there's not much you can do to change that fact." Thanks for the pep talk, Coach. To give you some background, this was Fall of my freshman year. At the time, I definitely wasn't one of the most well-conditioned girls on the team (keep in mind that being well-conditioned and looking like you're in shape are two extremely different things). We had strength and conditioning testing every Fall and Winter and I went into my first quarter as a collegiate student athlete with the naive mindset that I wanted to enjoy my last Summer of freedom and so I didn't train nearly as hard as I should have. Huge huge mistake. I'm pretty sure I failed whatever test we were given during our first week of training. I still pitched well and was physically strong, but I wasn't able to run and endure the stamina we were expected to endure.

So after a few weeks on the field and in the weight room working hard and slowly making improvements, Coach...Pete we'll call him... Coach Pete calls me over one day and says that I'll just never be able to get in shape like the other girls. I'm just not physiologically capable of that. I couldn't believe he was telling me this. I was a little stunned when he first said that to me and I remember a range of emotions hitting me. I was sad because I felt like he was giving up on me. I was pissed because I felt like he didn't believe in me. I was confused because for a second I thought that perhaps he was right. I don't even remember how I responded to be honest. I think I just nodded diligently and went back to completing my assigned lift.

When I got back to my dorm later that day, I still couldn't get over what Coach Pete had said to me. The thought that something was so far out of my control and having someone tell me there was nothing I could do about it despite my biggest efforts was something I couldn't accept. I was always taught that if I want something badly enough and work hard enough for it, good things will follow. I was always taught that I was capable of ANYTHING. I continued to think about Coach Pete's lack of confidence in my ability and started to cry out of frustration -- yes, my female teenage emotions got the best of me and I cried. I took a minute to be upset and feel sorry for myself but then quickly snapped out of that and turned my frustration into motivation and fuel. His words and thoughts of my inability fed the fire that was already inside me to improve every aspect of my athletic ability. I wanted to show him that I was capable of not only passing his conditioning test, but CRUSHING the numbers he expected us to meet.

"The greatest pleasure in life is in doing what others say you cannot do."

I continued to work hard on the field and in the weight room and for the next three and a half years, I was always one of the top performers on our conditioning tests. Oh look, I am physiologically capable! I'll be honest, I'm no runner! I was a pitcher and definitely wouldn't even put myself in the same category as some of our outfielders when it comes to sprints. They were BEASTS and would give a lottt of wide receivers and running backs a run for their money on a 40-yard dash. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't try, but I'm pretty confident I know how a race with me and our outfielders would end. ...and that's not in my favor. Ha! Anyways! We had 300-yard shuttles and beep tests twice a year as our conditioning tests and after that terrible Fall of freshman year, I consistently set times that exceded my own expectations and that I was really proud of. I stayed drive, put in work and the results followed. I wasn't running non-stop. I didn't spend countless hours on the track or in the weight room. I was honestly never a fan of cardio (I still hate it) and didn't spend any more than 40 minutes conditioning per day. Most days were probably around 20 minutes and some days were as short as 10. I did this 4-5 times a week to prepare for our tests. Did I dread it each time? Absolutely. But I dreaded the alternative even more. Disappointing my coaches, my teammates, and myself simply wasn't an option. I wanted to be the best athlete I could be for them and for myself. 

It's funny because as a young freshman, a part of me believed Coach Pete. I thought, what if he was right? I questioned my ability for a second but had to shake the possibility of a limit from my mind. I didn't choose to post about this story to toot my own horn -- I think this is actually the first time I've told anyone this -- but I want to show that there are going to be people who don't believe in you and tell you you CAN'T do something but don't let that deter you from trying and working hard. You're capable of achieving anything you put your mind to! I know that's cliche, but people make amazing transformations and positive changes every day. Why not you?? Our bodies are capable of so many things, and with discipline, knowledge, motivation, and confidence, anything is possible.

Don't listen to people who tell you you aren't capable of achieving something. Even yourself. Your mind is the only thing that can put limitations on your ability, and you don't have to listen to it. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment