Monday, June 3, 2013

Safety First!

As I was at the gym today, there was a serious and terrible injury that took place right by me. I don't know much about the guy who got injured as I've only seen him at the gym a few times, but this was just another reminder that safety should always be the first thing considered and prioritized when lifting.

I always have my headphones in at the gym (I just get in the zone and in my own world!) so I don't really hear or pay attention to much else that happens around me. ...I guess sometimes that can be a good or a bad thing. There was a guy bench pressing behind me doing just fine when I initially saw him and then the next time I turn around, his left arm looks completely dislocated, out of socket, and is dangling lifeless and perfectly perpendicular (and backwards) to the ground. I don't know what the exact diagnosis was, but the paramedics came and took him away on a stretcher. 

As I mentioned, I've seen this man in the gym before but it seems like he was lifting WAY more than he should have been. Correct form should never be sacrificed for increased speed or weight. It can be tough to find that balance between pushing yourself to your limits and still doing the exercise correctly but definitely keep the weights light and your motions controlled until you feel comfortable enough to increase the weight. 

You should never feel the need to push yourself for other people. It seems a lot of people strive to get in shape to impress other people but at the end of the day, and in the long run, being fit and healthy should be done for yourself! The journey should be followed and completed for YOU. All you can do is try to be better than the YOU you were yesterday. Every person is different, will lift differently, train differently, etc... just do YOU to the best of your ability.

Stay safe, y'all, and Happy Lifting <33

No comments:

Post a Comment