Tuesday, June 11, 2013




Happy Monday, y'all! I hope you're having a good one. Today I wanted to discuss females and weight lifting again. I know this is something I've posted about before but I'm a huge advocate of weight lifting to help you achieve great results on the outside but also from a visceral perspective. Building strong muscles from weight lifting will help support your bones and body more and can help prevent a number of issues that may come with aging. 

Every time I'm in the gym, I can't help but notice that the majority of the cardio machines are being used by women and the majority of the free weights are being used by men. I still use cardio machines every now and then but I make it a point to lift at least 4 times a week (I go crazy if I don't.) I know it can be really intimidating for people to step into the gym and into the free weights section for the first time. It's often the section occupied by some bigger, bulkier, wannabe bodybuilding males and you don't even know where to begin! You're afraid of making a mistake and doing something incorrectly. Is this right? If so, I completely understand! I know it can be difficult to break out of your comfort zone. But the hardest step is always the first!

I won't ramble on and on about the benefits of weight lifting because that can be a whole other post in and of itself but trust me that lifting is beneficial and will help you achieve any health and fitness goals you have. There are a ton of exercises and safety is undoubtedly the most important thing.

Start by having a personal trainer, experienced friend, or frequent weight lifter show you some exercises so you know how to do them correctly. Use less weight until you feel comfortable and are doing the exercise correctly. 

I think a lot of first timers can feel insecure about the way they look or about what other people might think of them...but that honestly shouldn't matter!! You're getting healthy for YOU and no one else. Everyone started somewhere. And by everyone, I mean all of those people who you think might judge you in the gym. If it helps, go with a partner. Get a workout buddy so you can keep each other motivated. Get a personal trainer to show you the ropes until you get into a good routine. I honestly love being one of the few females in the male-dominant weights section. :P It makes me feel more badass than I actually am. And I love seeing when other women workout in that area with me! There aren't too many so it's good to motivate and empower each other when we cross paths. :) I hope this helps some of you who have been curious about getting it on with free weights. You honestly won't regret it and will see amazing results if you keep at it. <3 Happy lifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment