Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Staying Engaged to Stay Fit


To be honest, I know a lot of people can get bored with their workout, including myself! Mentally, and physiologically, it's actually ideal to mix up your workouts. If you're bored with a workout, you're more likely to stop working out in full. Keep your workouts fun by incorporating different kinds of activities, sets, reps, etc...

For cardio, you can use any of the machines that most gyms have (treadmill, elliptical, bike, stair master, etc...) or you can do an outdoor activity, do circuit training, play a sport, go for a hike... anything to get your body moving and your heart pumping! Keep it fun.

To be honest, there are times when I get bored so I have to find a way to switch up my workout. I'll alter the times of the intervals I do, swap out some exercises in my intervals, mix weights and cardio to do quick supersets with minimal rest time...things like that. And chances are, if your mind is bored, so is your body. You want your body to constantly be working and guessing what it has to do next. 

At Stanford, we would do intervals, supersets, and different speed and conditioning workouts every week. They'd be geared towards the same goal, but would be tweaked in some small way so our muscles and fitness levels never plateaued. Keep your exercises varied (actual workout, time you do them, interval times, amount of weight, supersets, etc...) and fun so you stay engaged and enjoying your workouts. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment